Fatal Two Alarm House Fire with Explosion on Cranberry Court

by | Jan 7, 2015

A fatal house fire took place in the Princeton Walk Development of the South Brunswick Township section of Kingston on Tuesday night.  Shortly prior to 11PM South Brunswick Police received several 911 calls reporting sounds of an explosion and a large structure fire at 2 Cranberry Court.

The first police officers arrived in less than three minutes and reported extensive fire throughout the two story structure.  Hearing this report while still enroute to the scene, Kingston Fire Department Deputy Chief John Luck requested his full First Alarm assignment.  The Deputy Chief arrived less then one minute later and established command.  With the house being fully consumed and fire threatening the neighboring home located less than 15 feet away,  Deputy Chief Luck ordered the first arriving Engine to establish a water supply and protect the neighboring exposure.  Kingston Fire Chief Lloyd Mathis arrived shortly later and faced with the threatened exposures and extremely cold temperatures he transmitted the Second Alarm.

In all, the Kingston, Kendall Park, Monmouth Junction, Plainsboro, Rocky Hill, Princeton, Montgomery #2, and Cranbury Fire Departments responded to the scene of the fire. It took the 75 firefighters approximately twenty-five minutes to bring the blaze under control. Meanwhile the Griggstown and Franklin Park fire companies stood by at a local firehouse and provided coverage for the rest of the town.

The Kendall Park, Monmouth Junction, and Plainsboro EMS Units also responded to the fire.  Deputy Chief Luck slipped and fell due to the ice that had quickly formed throughout the scene. He would later be transported to a local hospital, diagnosed with a broken wrist, and released.  No other firefighter injuries were reported.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Share This